Our client, an IT firm is seeking a Senior Backend Engineer to join its team.
Who we are
We are creating a new Africa, one in which everyone has control of their financial data and use it to
better their lives. We believe that people should have power over their own financial data and use that
power to create a financially stable future for themselves. Our starting hypothesis is quite simple —
building a robust Open Banking standard for Africa, working with regulators and banks, would lead to
the creation of an ecosystem for financial innovation.
Who you are:
1. You have a degree in computer science OR equivalent experience as a backend engineer.
2. You are adept at writing production-grade, robust, and well-tested code, primarily in Go but with
some Node.js/Typescript work as well.
3. You are proficient in writing well-optimized MySQL database queries
4. You know secure coding practices
5. You have a thorough grasp of how networking works
6. You are looking for an opportunity to take ownership of designing and developing new features
and enhancements on the core Open Banking, API-focused product in a pioneering FinTech.
What you will do:
Our Engineering team lives to build the tools and infrastructure to gather, analyze, and visualize financial
data. In this role, you will
1. work closely alongside our existing development team, and CTO to understand and implement
financial software and features.
2. build secure, high-quality software, while also helping to define MVP approaches to expanding
our API-based solutions internationally. You will be working on expanding our platform's feature
set to cover use cases for a growing number of banks signing up to digitize customers’ financial
3. participate in Pair Programming to craft well-tested software with SOLID design principles and
on highly scalable, performant, and complex systems (APIs, HTTP, GRPC) within a containerized
microservices environment encompassing Docker, Kubernetes, and AWS. You will also write
production-grade, robust and well-tested code, primarily in Go but with some
Node.js/Typescript work as well
4. Most of our engineers work across the entire stack, touching everything from the front end to
our core infrastructure
What you will need:
You will need the following key skills:
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience in Computer Science, Engineering, or a closely
2. Strong software engineering experience (likely to have a background with C / C++ or Java)
3. 3+ years of backend development/production experience, core fundamentals, and a strong
command of at least one language preferably Go or Python.
4. Excellent written and verbal English.
5. You are an accomplished backend engineer seeking a new challenge.
6. Thorough understanding of Computer Science fundamentals including OOP, Design Patterns and
7. Experience with designing, building, and maintaining SOA-based architectures
8. Good knowledge of SOLID design principles
9. Genuine enthusiasm for technology, you'll likely attend conferences, tech meet-ups, and read /
Even if you don’t tick all those boxes, we’d still love to hear from you! The most important part of this
job is approaching new challenges with curiosity and a drive to apply what you learn to fix root causes,
not just symptoms. Deep curiosity, a love of learning, and a desire to help others by shipping code will
backgrounds and are happy to help you learn Go when you get here.
Nice to Haves
1. Familiarity with Node.js and Typescript
2. Commercial Go / Golang development experience
3. Experience with serverless/functions/lambda architectures and technologies
4. Experience with AWS APIs, CloudFormation, and/or other infrastructure as code technologies
5. Experience working with OpenIDC, Open Banking, PSD2, Fraud, and Security Authentication
6. Experience with relational databases and SQL - especially Postgres
7. Experience with Elasticsearch.
8. Experience with Fastify and JEST
9. Familiarity with modern build pipelines and tools (CI/CD)
10. Experience working in remote teams and at small companies and startups.
Regardless of what you apply to within our company, we have important codes that we live by. We will
expect you to reflect our culture in specific ways:
1. You take responsibility end-to-end and your colleagues can rely on you to show ownership.
2. You care about your work and your attitude and how it affects those around you.
3. You understand that communication is one of your key responsibilities.
4. You make pragmatic decisions that bring the product forward.
5. You are open to the ideas and concerns of other departments and stakeholders.
6. You work hard, are passionate about building great products, and are happy to tackle big
7. You love to teach and to learn from your co-workers.
8. You are flexible and not afraid to deal with uncertainty.
9. And most importantly: You are focused on shipping features for our users and getting the job
Perks & Benefits
1. Work on a project that positively impacts lives across Africa. It is our mission to provide trust as
a service and you will wake up every day excited about what you do.
2. Competitive salary.
3. Stock options because we want you to be a full member of the family. Hey, if we make a lot of
money you should too, after all, you helped us build it!
4. The right hardware. We will get you sorted with excellent hardware to help you get your job
done, from well-specced MacBook Pros to 4K monitors, we got you covered!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on
the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran
status, or disability status.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CVs to: firstname.lastname@example.org